Technology

Nintendo pulls Switch 2 pre-orders in US over Trump tariffs

[ad_1] Tom GerkenTechnology reporterNintendoNintendo says it will no longer open pre-orders for the Switch 2 in the United States next week, following the introduction of steep tariffs on exports from Japan.The firm unveiled the much-anticipated console on Wednesday, the same day US President Donald Trump announced his sweeping new global tariffs.It said then that US pre-orders would open in a matter of days, but it has been now been forced
Technology

I played the £75 Mario Kart World on Switch 2

[ad_1] Tom GerkenTechnology reporterBBCAfter months of speculation, Nintendo has confirmed the successor to its wildly popular Switch console will be released on 5 June, when it will cost £395.99 to buy in the UK.But it's not so much the price of the Switch 2 but its games that have been raising eyebrows, with the new Mario Kart World that is being released alongside it coming in at a whopping £74.99
Technology

Buyers circle and rumours swirl as TikTok sale deadline looms

[ad_1] Imran Rahman-JonesTechnology reporterGetty ImagesThe list of would-be buyers for TikTok in the US - both rumoured and confirmed - has grown longer as the deadline for deciding its future looms.The social media giant faces being shut down in the US unless it sells to an American company by 5 April.The runners and riders range from US tech giants to the British entrepreneur dubbed "the king of homemade porn".However, TikTok
Technology

Google AI tricked by Cwmbran roundabouts Aprils fools’ prank

[ad_1] BBCBen Black publishes a fake news story every year for April Fools' DayEvery year, journalist Ben Black publishes a playful fake story on his community news site Cwmbran Life for April Fools' Day. Since 2018 the 48-year-old has spun yarns including a Hollywood-style sign on a mountain to a nudist cold-water swimming club at a lake.In 2020, Mr Black published a fake story claiming Cwmbran had been recognised by
Technology

Release date, price and new games announced

[ad_1] Tom Gerken & Tom RichardsonTechnology reporter & BBC NewsbeatNintendoNintendo has revealed the Switch 2, the long awaited successor to one of the best-selling consoles in history, will be released on June 5.Fans have been impatiently waiting to find out more since January, when the Japanese gaming giant ended months of speculation by confirming basic information about the new device.In a Nintendo Direct online presentation, watched by more than a
Technology

Parents allowed to block children’s games and friends on Roblox

[ad_1] Graham FraserTechnology ReporterGetty ImagesParents will be able to block their children from specific games and experiences on Roblox as part of new safety measures announced by the hugely popular gaming platform.They will also be able to block or report their children's friends, and the platform will provide more information about which games young users are playing. The measures will only apply to children who are under the age of
Technology

Screen time in bed linked to worse sleep, study finds

[ad_1] People who spend more time looking at a screen in bed are more likely to report insomnia and sleep loss, a study has found.The research is based on a Norwegian survey of more than 45,000 students.It indicates that each additional hour of screen time was linked to a 63% increase in insomnia risk, and 24 minutes less sleep.However, the researchers said they had only established a correlation between screen
Technology

Could TikTok be banned again and who might buy it?

[ad_1] Tom Gerken, Liv McMahon & Imran Rahman-JonesTechnology reportersGetty ImagesPresident Donald Trump has said a deal to sell TikTok will be made by 5 April, as questions swirl over whether the app will be banned in the United States.The platform went 'went dark' for US users in January as a law took effect which banned the app unless it was sold by its parent company ByteDance.But TikTok returned less than
Technology

Center Parcs removes X link from site after fake account set up

[ad_1] The holiday park company Center Parcs has removed links to its old X account from its website after a man who took over the account was contacted by genuine customers.Center Parcs deleted its X account in January, which meant the @CenterParcsUK handle became available.Carl Lennon, an IT consultant, registered an X account with this name when he noticed it was available, and said he started getting messages from customers
Technology

Assassin’s Creed-maker Ubisoft gets $1.25bn investment from Chinese tech giant Tencent

[ad_1] Chinese technology giant Tencent has made a €1.2bn ($1.25bn) investment in a spin-off from Ubisoft, the maker of the Assassin's Creed video games.Shenzhen-based Tencent will own about a quarter of the new business, with Ubisoft holding the rest of the new subsidiary, which is valued at around €4bn.The unit will run some of the French firm's biggest franchises, including Assassin's Creed, Far Cry and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.Tencent, which